How to use Google’s Display Ad Builder
(Psst: If you’re brand new to paid online advertising, welcome to the party! Now let me catch you up before we dive in: display ads are the static, animated and video image advertisements you probably see quite often in your personal browsing. That video ad for MasterCard® on your favorite news website? That’s a display ad. So is the animated image ad for Nike® shoes on your friend’s running blog.
So let’s compare:
|PPC ads:||Display ads:|
|text-only||almost always image-based|
|appear on Google search engine results pages (SERPS)||appear on thousands of websites partnered with Google. This is called the Google Display Network (GDN).|
Got it? Great! The next step in creating a display campaign is, of course, to build your first display ad. To create one, you’ll use the Google Display Ad Builder. Now let’s get back to business.)
Display advertisements come in a variety of formats: text, static image, animated image, rich media and video. And, as any marketer who’s ever run a display campaign will tell you, a display campaign’s success or failure can typically be attributed to the look and messaging of the display ads. In order to garner the most positive attention from the widest audience possible, you want your ads to be attractive, polished, and well-targeted to your customers.
With the Google Display Ad Builder, marketers and advertisers can create eye-catching image, video and interactive ads for distribution throughout the GDN. The Display Ad Builder, a free tool from Google, allows us to create tailored, professional-looking image ads from hundreds of customizable templates.
Follow this step-by-step guide to create attractive and effective display ads in the Display Ad Builder.
- Log in to your Adwords account and select a campaign. Once you’re in the campaign view, select your display campaign. Click “+ Ad,” and select “image ad.”
- A window will open, prompting you to create your image ad. Provide your homepage or landing page URL and the Google Display Ad Builder will scan your website to pull colors, fonts and images with which to create display ads. Click “create an ad.”
- You’ll be directed to a page populated by ad templates and your site’s content. If you see an ad design that appeals to you, hover over it. (If you don’t, there’s a “show more” option at the bottom of the page. Google offers hundreds of ad templates – no need to settle!)
- Found your template? Fabulous. Hover over the image and you’ll see the option to edit the design. Unless the Display Ad Builder absolutely nailed the design you had in mind, edit the ad to make it your own.
- Customize your ad for every layout and size offered by the GDN. Choose font, colors, images and button placement that speaks best for your brand.
- Save your ads (name them something distinct and relevant) and you’re ready for launch!
Want to learn more about display advertising? Stick with the Lucid blog, your source for online marketing expertise.