The Cocktail Diaries: Watermelon-Mint Cooler
When the temperature in AZ is stuck between “pizza oven” and “lava” it’s a good time to test a new favorite cocktail recipe…
- 2 c. watermelon puree (spin chunks for a few seconds in a blender)
- 2 oz. Vodka (or more if you prefer)
- ¼ c. Lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 10-12 mint leaves
Gently slap 8 mint leaves (to release their fragrant oils… and any of your tension) and muddle in the bottom of a pitcher with the vodka. Add the watermelon puree and lime juice and stir well to combine. Serve over ice and garnish with the remaining mint leaves and a watermelon wedge. Serves 2.
Use a melon baller to make watermelon spheres and freeze them to use in place of ice. It won’t water down your drink and it looks *fancy*
- Rim a martini or margarita glass with your favorite chili-lime salt for a little zing.
- Sub out the mint for basil and 3 muddled strawberries per glass for an herbaceous twist.
- Does your watermelon taste bland? Add ¼ c. of simple syrup to your drink.
- Arizona twist: add ¼ c. prickly pear syrup to the mix for added sweetness and an extra dose of color.
- Change up your glassware to create different presentations. This drink is a poolside treat in a highball glass but becomes an evening sipper in a coupe.